Saturday, June 6, 2009

ROBOBURGH - PART TWO - ART

Andrew Carnegie (pictured here) was rich.

"Carnegie argued that the life of a wealthy industrialist should comprise two parts. The first part was the gathering and the accumulation of wealth. The second part was for the subsequent distribution of this wealth to benevolent causes." Win Win!

I hung out in a couple of his museums while in Pittsburgh.




First, the Art Museum. The Carnegie Art Museum and the Carnegie Museum of Natural history are next to each other, art to the right, science to the left of this babe.






The courtyard was full of kids and they giggled and pointed while I took this front view, which I did to provoke them.









This was my favorite work in the place. A mural around the entire wall space of the Grand Staircase by John White Alexander. The Knight above on the left is supposedly from a likeness of Carnegie, smoke billowing from under him contains faces contorted in pain and evil, most likely business people he crushed.

Factory workers show up stuck in this corner with a clean steam mist washing over their workplace.







The rest of the images are all sexy angels / women as if Carnegie, the macho conquistador, inspired by hot muses, employed listless, medium-weight blokes to destroy the weak and create a Nation (which is somewhere behind the mist).







This is a still I grabbed from a 70mm short film called Migration showing in a little dark room which I got to enjoy alone. It features the cheap motel rooms of America with the Great Creatures of America as guests. Striking, effective, well shot, editing B-.



This is a re-creation of the Parthenon's interior. When I wandered into this part of the museum, I got very excited because

I'm still in the middle of the Greece portion of LaB and the stuff they have (mostly casts and reproductions) were extremely helpful and inspiring.










Then over to the Natural History part. The real reason I came to either of these buildings was in here.


I have a thing for horses. And they had this ad plastered all over the city. There were no photos allowed in there but it turned out to be a mundane exhibit, a compact tour of the horse over time. Best part was the tour guide who had a touch screen interface showcasing a series of anatomical function animations. She was cute. Oh, and the thing was well-designed.

The second reason I was there was to meet a Paleontologist who is based there. He happened to be giving a tour to some industrialists and I accosted him afterward. Buy his book! The Hunt for the Dawn Monkey. We had a great chat about monkeys and stuff.



Here are some other sights from the science side. I'm always creeped out by stuffed birds, but be sure to scroll down to the last image from that section. They were illustrating the use of birds in commercial products but about one in twenty of their specimens were displayed thusly. Wins Best in Show image for my visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment