Wednesday, June 10, 2009

AmericaNerd™

I left Bloomington, Indiana on May 20th. My plan was:

BLOOMINGTON to
PITTSBURGH to
WASHINGTON D.C.

fun fun






But I ended up doing this :

BLOOMINGTON to
DETROIT to
CLEVELAND to
PITTSBURGH to
MORGANTOWN to
CHARLESTON to
CHARLOTTESVILLE to
RICHMOND to
COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG to
PHILADELPHIA to
BALTIMORE to
WASHINGTON D.C.

where I am now, in the nation's capitol.


I am no patriot. I in fact despise boundaries of any kind, which I understand is problematic. After all, what would a cell do without a cell wall?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
T.P.


I understand pride in one's country, nation-state, group of any kind, I am after all a passionate supporter of an English football team and want teams wearing the other colors to fail, some of them miserably. But this is AMERICA. AAAMMMEEERRIIICCCAAA!!!!! and it's extremely difficult to be here without being on the 'inside' of that self-identification, even before the towers fell. Whether brainwashed or not, whenever colonists throw off the yoke of their oppressors, you have to get excited. So when I was young, I was an avid Revolution-era reader, the Federalist Papers were bedside reading. And above all, my hero was Thomas Paine, bleeding heart propagandist and war starter. That's his quote above.

Thinking about my boyhood idealism and my manhood boyism, I've come up with what it's called. I'm an AmericaNerd™

And though I am made ill by the use of slaves by almost all the Founders and the absurd position expected of women, among many other idiot-moves, I dig whenever hierarchy is flattened at all, and I do buy the magic of the Amendment process, the masterstroke of our government.

So the blogs over the next couple weeks will explore my wide-eyed excitement being in this area, where we slashed our way through swamps, indians, english, and our souls to build the pick-up truck, the McDonalds, the Michael Jackson, and the Space Shuttle.


(taken just now at the Udvar-Hazy Museum, part of the Smithsonian - it's the Enterprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment